Thursday, January 5, 2012

Argentinian Red Shrimp

 The checker at Trader Joe's excitedly pointed to the bag of frozen shrimp in my cart and exclaimed, "If you haven't had these before you aren't going to believe how good they are! They're from Argentina and only available for a short time. They are amazing––taste just like lobster. You're gonna love'em." And he wasn't even my checker... he was in the line next to me and had gone out of his way to tell me about the possibly unknown treasure I had. The good news is––he wasn't kidding. These shrimp are unique. If I was blindfolded, given one to eat and didn't know it was a shrimp, I'd say I was eating a sweet  bit of lobster––the texture and flavor are definitely more lobstery than shrimp-like.

I sauteed these amazing shrimp/lobsters from Argentina in butter and garlic–added some linguine and cilantro and created the main course to follow the cheese plate (see previous blog post) for New Year's Eve.

It was a delightfully, delicious way to welcome the new year–and with 3 more bags of my newly found treasure in the freezer–2012 is looking pretty good.


5 comments:

  1. I have been searching the web for recipe ideas for the Argentine Red Shrimp I import and ran across your blog. I placed a link back to this page at www.facebook.com/argentineredshrimp where I am linking back to a number of good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This shrimp is amazing !! I will never buy any other.. I stocked up since I heard it was a seasonal item.. one of my good friends who works at Trader Joe’s told me I have to try them.. so glad I did! Really amazingly good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thawed and cooked as directed on bag. Perfect texture and flavor. The raw shrimp even smelled fresh and delicious. Next I'll have cold with cocktail sauce. I got mine at Costco and need to grab a couple more bags.

    ReplyDelete